Extra sharp sand - mix w/topsoil? or use for under paving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 'jumbo' bag of sharp sand left over from the building work - a mis calculation by builders.

We have a 45 sqm lawn to lay and quite alot of topsoil to get level with the new paving. Probably about 10-20cm before level with paving.

I've read on these forums that adding sharp sand can help drainage and can be mixed into topsoil (i think) (+ use up the shark sand and save money on top soil.)

1, So i was wondering whether any of you good people can advise me if this mixing with topsoil is an ok idea. What ratio should i do if ok?

2, Or mix with cement and use for laying the natural stone paving. And get building sand for the mortar between the paving?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its perfect for either of your suggestions. Either use it at about 5:1 sand to cement for paving or mix it in with your topsoil.

Or save it up and mix it 50/50 with the soil and use that for your final leveling before turfing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back