Cement Mix Q....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just lost my temper and put an axe in my wifes skull so a bit of a job has broke out

I plan to put a shed up in corner of my garden on a concrete base obviously with her underneath

Am I right that it will require a thickness of 10 CM?

If my shed is going to be a Width 8 Foot and the Length 12 Foot

How many bags of sand / cement / stones would I need

Process as far as I understand it please correct were appropriate

1. Ascertain level and size of shed floor
2. Dig down a further 20 CM
3. Wooden border of 20 CM around all edged
4. Lay 10 CM of stones
5. Lay 10CM of Cement mix

Am I missing and sand in this? or is that not needed?

Cheers for your help

Lee

Sponsored Links
Total weight of mix is about 2.5 tonne so you'd better get the mother-in-law round with her shovel. Ideal mix for a waterproof floor is probably 3:2:1 gravel:sand:cement

Your volume is 32 cubic feet (0.33 x 12 x 8 ) which is near enough to 1 cubic metre.

To make that you'll need 0.8 cubic metres of gravel, 0.5 cubic metres of sand and about 320kg of cement.

If you're popping down to your supplier for bags of ready mixed dry mix you'll need about 110 bags of 20kg mix !!

Seems a lot ? - yes it is !

You should have spared the wife until she'd done the mixing !!

Sponsored Links
I would say to halve your thickness of hardcore and concrete, not going to be walked on all the time and not an incredible weight will sit on it.

I would say to halve your thickness of hardcore and concrete, not going to be walked on all the time and not an incredible weight will sit on it.

You mean 5 CM of gravel and 5 CM of concrete

As per previous post is this now going to be 55 Bags instead of 110?

Thanks for your advice

Lee

Hardcore is what you want then some gravel or ballast to fill the gaps.

If you have never laid concrete before I wouldn't suggest doing this size as your first go. Defiantly not on your own either.

Decided it may be too costly and time consuming to do a concrete slab so instead i will opt for a wooden floor.

Does anyone have a link to some good step by step instructions on how to prepare the base

I have read previous that the floor that comes with a shed is not very strong so I would like to put something together that would make it better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back