1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry sand/cement mix for shed base - how long to leave it before laying slabs?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by DIYNotIan, 26 Apr 2017.

1. DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

I'll be moving my shed soon and am having to make a new base for it. I've already put some hardcore down. I have six 60cm x 60cm slabs and will be using a dry sand/cement mix on top of the hardcore before laying the slabs...

Do I need to leave the cement/mix for a certain amount of time before laying the slabs? Or is the idea to lay them while the mix is still "workable"?

Cheers

Max

2. r896neo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need a semi dry mix not completely dry. Trying a completely dry mix will never harden properly so you may as well have just used sand.

The easiest way to achieve a semi dry mix is to mix it up damp and then throw it out on a wooden board to stiffen for 10 mins.

You may find a normal wet mix easier as it will flow under the flag as you tap it down into it. A semidry mix the bed needs to be pretty spot on before you tap down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd go with a fully wet mix too.

4. cuboid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Aren't wet mixes the reason slabs rock after a few years? Go semi dry and let it go off slowly. Well dot and dab slabs rock I mean