Shuttering or other dry cement mix for shed base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate has asked me to put a shed up with him.

1/ I heard shuttering is best for sheds if you are serious. How easy is it to make shuttering for 6 feet by 8 feet one? Worth it?

Or just put an inch of dry sand/cement mix on soil then hammer slabs down?

Or wakerplate hardcore down then cement in slabs on top. But I heard dot and dab after a fee years makes the slabs rock.

What's the best way?

Sponsored Links
Shuttering for a slab is easy, just lay out planks on edge.

The wet mix is very heavy so it will try to push them out sideways, so hammer in lots of support pegs.

Shuttering for a slab is easy, just lay out planks on edge.

The wet mix is very heavy so it will try to push them out sideways, so hammer in lots of support pegs.
Would I need a cement mixer or just mix it on wood or in Barrow? Just lay it on the soil

Sponsored Links
a mixer can be hired, will be a lot quicker and less effort, and likely a better mix.

For an 8x6 shed I wouldn't bother with cement at all. A bit of mot wacked down, layer of sand to level, then slabs. It'll outlast the shed and the materials will be easy to remove/recycle at some later date if required.

If the shed has a strong floor, you don't need the slabs, just set it on concrete blocks or wooden bearers (like old sleepers). Ideally sat on some form of damp proofing ie slate or plastic dpc.

For an 8x6 shed I wouldn't bother with cement at all. A bit of mot wacked down, layer of sand to level, then slabs. It'll outlast the shed and the materials will be easy to remove/recycle at some later date if required.
What's 'mot'?

MOT is a specific type of ballast .

My shed is 30 years old and was treated when it arrived, but we coated everything with more creosote(?) or preserver before it went up.
Just 4" fence posts on their sides about every 18" across the shed then the shed built on top. It's fine and is treated maybe every 5 years.

The shed is in the pics and it's going in the corner in the picture. There's already those pebbles all over garden as you can see. We thought we'd wacketplatte the corner area then lay wet cement down and then slabs on top. He's got those plastic grate things as well (in pix) sound ok?
20190426_182846.jpg
20190426_182852.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back