laying a lage area of slabs and block paving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i have a job coming up that has large areas of slabs and block paving.

I typically lay block paving on whacked down sand in the normal way and i normally lay slabs on a full bed of damp sand and cement mix (on a 100mm hardcore base for both obviously).

Now i know many lay slabs on just whacked down sand so i was wondering if any here do that and if it is long lasting and a good option.

The slabs i will be using are 3 sizes with the smallest at 450 x 300 so they seem large enough for a sand only base and they are all 38mm deep.

Pro's and cons for using a hardcore and sand only base please.

Sponsored Links
I use the guidelines below

Natural stone of any kind or concrete flags bigger than 450x450 = full mortar bed

Concrete slabs 450x450 and under layed on screeded grit sand like block paving.

If you are on really good ground laying bigger flags on sand is possible spec wise but is physically difficult to do and the bed needs to be very well compacted and perfectly flat. To be honest it more suited to commercial work where they use heavy vibrating rollers and dedicated screeding equipement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back