Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

The missus has somehow talked me into putting down some sleepers in the garden to create some raised beds. I will be using 20x10x180cm untreated oak sleepers and the soil is extremely heavy clay and slightly sloped along the length of the beds.

I need some advice on the best way to lay the sleepers and hopefully avoid some costly mistakes. My current plan is to:
a) dig a trench 15cm wide and 10 cm deep and flatten bottom of the trench (I plan to use the 5 cm gap as lawn edging;
b) get some Hanson cement bags mix them and pour a 3cm layer of concrete on the bottom of the trench while magically keeping the slope intact;
c) drive some long nails into the bottom of the sleepers and lay them in the trench.

Not sure if this is relevant but would be using something like a corner halving to end join the sleepers (5 cm deep).

Has anyone done anything similar and do they see anything wrong with the above? Is the cement really needed and is there a trick to ensure it dries while keeping the slope of the soil?

I've some experience making cabinets, etc. but never poured cement or used oak sleepers in the garden so any tips are welcome.

Many thanks,
A

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if the cement is needed as the oak sleepers are pretty heavy, but it might depend on the depth of the slope. If you can get hold of some metal rods, then it may be as simple as laying the sleeper in place, drilling through it, and then knocking the rod through into the ground to keep it in place. And depending on how flat the ground is, it may be worth taking a couple of centimetres of grass away, flattening the subsoil, and then putting the sleeper in place.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if the cement is needed as the oak sleepers are pretty heavy, but it might depend on the depth of the slope. If you can get hold of some metal rods, then it may be as simple as laying the sleeper in place, drilling through it, and then knocking the rod through into the ground to keep it in place. And depending on how flat the ground is, it may be worth taking a couple of centimetres of grass away, flattening the subsoil, and then putting the sleeper in place.

I plan to use the nails to achieve the same effect as the rods. I'm using nails nailed to the bottom of the sleeper to avoid drilling through the top to avoid water getting through the minuscule gap between the rod and the sleeper.
I did take 10 cm of the top soil and flattened the subsoil - or did you mean something else?

This is a good article to give you a start; http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur08.htm

Good luck
Mike

Thanks - I'll have a read tomorrow for some ideas, but skimmed it just now and not sure it deals with my "design" (I forgot to mention I'm only using one sleeper and not stacking them).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back