Sleeper Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have posted briefly in previous loosely related post about this which noseall kindly pointed me in right direction re patio drainage but now need some more info for reassurance before I carry on :

Just in the process of landscaping my garden. Plan is to have patio outside back door, sleeper wall approx 480mm high (with integral steps) up to raised lawn area.

Patio is already laid. Luckily I put hardcore base down last Bank Holiday and resulting monsoon highlighted some "issues" with drainage. Have now laid strip drainage (not sure of proper name but "Clark" drains with metal covers) all along edge of patio and connected into existing SW drains. All good (although not yet tested by rain of course!!). Patio was put down this weekend just past and has pretty good run off angle.

Next thing to get done is a treated new softwood sleeper wall. Now wondering what to do with drainage for that.

The shallow "trench" where the wall will go pretty much filled with 2 inches of water that first weekend - although we had 5 days solid heavy rain, and at that point it was the lowest part of the garden, which currently has no greenery at all to soak anything up - it's now dry.

The garden is weird in that it's pretty heavy clay lower down (at depth of patio) yet pretty good up top - we are surrounded by Oaks which usually drink loads - we get quite bad cracks in lawn in very dry weather!!

The wall will go immediately adjacent to the strip drain so was wondering if just backing up with some shingle and leaving some weep holes (or even drilling some holes and putting some pipes through?) would work, as in theory water should go into the drain?

However doing research (ignorance is bliss isn't it) makes me wonder about geotextiles and perforated pipes now. I guess with a bit of work I could almost connect a perf pipe into the pipe that takes the water from the patio drain to the SW system.

Also should I be protecting back / underside of wood with anything - some sort of bitumen paint, or membrane? I have seen these same sleepers used a lot on TV, websites etc but then alsoe read why others wouldn't use timber!!

Was planning on bedding wall on semi-dry sand/cement mix to get levels - is that the best way?

Will be laying the sleepers flat and screwing together with timberlok - there will be some 90 degree angles in it so it'll almost stand up by itself I think. It'll comprise 25 or so sleepers and so will be pretty heavy.

It's only going to be 450-500mm high so not masses of weight to hold up.

Just want to ensure I am doing this right - so far I don't think I have cut any corners and don't want to start now!!

Chris.

Sponsored Links
they dont really need any treatmet, they are a big heavy bulk of timber and will last. they should be self supporting with the steps, but we always use timber stakes driven in behind them if they are only a couple high and fix to them for extra stability. I normally lay them on a lean mix just to get a nice level surface, whilst it is still damp.

Thanks Thermo

The other research I have done (pavingexpert etc) I have seen mentioned shingle behind the timbers (as noseall said) so I will definitely do that at least. Is there a readily available suitable geotextile to put between shingle/timber - I take it normal landscape fabric wo't do the job?

Cheers.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
The fabric?

Sorry - I am going to dig a further foot or so back from the sleepers and fill with shingle to aid a bit of drainage down and away from the sleepers rather than have wet earth against them - a few places have suggested that.

The fabric was to "enclose" the shingle really and stop it silting up.

I was also then going to leave/create some weep holes in sleepers to drain any excess through shingle out into drain.

Maybe this is all OTT, maybe it's not enough!! I don't want to be pulling it all down again in a few months though!!

Thanks.

Chris.

ott wont need it. Water will drain away and the wood will allow water through anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back