New Patio Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having a new patio installed and have a couple questions.

The guys that are doing it are removing some existing turf to extend out and lift the old patio. However they said they can just put type 1 over the existing sand that was under the patio, then on top of the type1 it will be the sand/cement mix for sandstone.

Is this correct or should the old sand be removed also?

Regarding drainage I had asked a drainage grid be put in along the sleeper edge on the far side of the patio where the grass is (grass, then a sleeper height drop to the patio), but they are saying the way it will need to be laid, they would be best running the drainage grid along the house side of the patio. I have always read dont run these along side of house. The pipe is getting tided into the rain water downpipe for info.

Any advice on this?

See attached Photos purple lines are the drainage grid, on both options... the 2.4m line is a step down from house. The Red line is Sleeper side where grass is.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
You don’t want the patio draining towards your house and you should avoid connecting to the rain water unless this goes to a soak away. Lay the fall away from the house and run the French drain into a small soak away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back