1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeper bed

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by stealthwolf, 15 Aug 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. stealthwolf

stealthwolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The back of the garden is currently a mess:

[​IMG]

I've been considering neating it up using railway sleepers to create a bed and then fill with stone chippings. I've then thought about making it a bit more elaborate with a smaller raised bit at the front for some small flowers to bright up the garden. I haven't added the shed in the drawing but this would be to the left of the bed.

[​IMG]

Here's a real life example:
    [​IMG]

I've also come across Woodblocx, which although is expensive, looks a lot simpler to put together:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty clueless on how to tackle this. I've seen people on youtube use metal rods and concrete to anchor the bottom sleeper but it's for a retaining wall which would need support. Any suggestions on the type of sleeper that maintains a bright or light colour rather than becoming grey or silver over time?

2. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just make sure if you raise any area that will normally be walked on you keep it below 300mm to avoid the need for planning

3. stealthwolf

stealthwolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It will be a raised bed for the trees and some flowers, so no steps or anything for walking.

4. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They looks great to start with but the sleeper gardens I've seen - especially those retaining earth - seem to discolour and rot within a few years.

Blup

5. stealthwolf

stealthwolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yup that bothers me so I'd be keen to maintain the "fresh" appearance. It's also why I've looked at woodblocx which are treated and last up to 15 years according to their website.