Can I use sand came underneith old patio for cement mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have removed some of the old stone patio which was layed on top of a sand bed. (the patio could be about 20-30 years old).
I need to create some cement mix to lay some new patio elsewhere in the garden. I am planning to use as mortar bed. My question is , can I just use this sand instead of buying cement mix sand from DIY store? Its already there in the garden.

Or this is sand useless now?

Thanks

View media item 106100

Sponsored Links
I have the same question but my sand looks a lot cleaner, I would like to use some of it if possible for the new mortar bed. Wonder if maybe I just use 1 part old in a mix with the rest fresh or should I just forget it. Also if I dont use it are there any uses for it in the garden ?

Attachments

• 16205657083387036374511320605301.jpg
    16205657083387036374511320605301.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 138
Sand is cheap enough to buy new so I wouldn't waste time using old stuff that probably has foreign matter in it.
You could use the old sand on your lawn to help improve drainage if you have clay based soil or as filler below compost/soil in pots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back