Laying a light patio with white cement and normal sharp sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Will be laying a patio of light coloured indian sandstone and was advised that silver sand and white cement would give the lightest joint finish and limit chances of staining coming through slabs, however cost of silver sand is prohibitive so was hoping to be able to go with average sharp sand in the mix with white cement.

Has anyone done this and can they comment on resulting colour of joints and any increased likelihood of staining to finished patio stones. Am using Marshalls calibrated patio from TP, so a reasonable standard product for the patio.

Realise the resulting colour could be largely affected by the starting colour of the sand but am concerned about any potential staining on patio slabs after its been laid etc as this patio is long time coming!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t worry about trying to colour bed material for jointing purposes. Just lay a normal, non-coloured bed and do the joints as a separate job with different materials.

When I did my patio I just used geo fix jointing compound which is a dry mix which you just brush into the joints after laying the flags – it comes in a range of colours and has lasted 7 years so far without any problems for me.

Really good website here for all things paving : http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

If you wan to use a one part then i would sooner use marshalls own weatherpoint 365 than geofix. Many many horror stories about that stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back