patio dry mix cement question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the cross post - thought i might get more response on here:

Hi All.....
I'm taken out all of the ugly sand between my patio slabs (york stone) and now want to use a dry mix cement to make it look nice.
With all the nice weather, this seems to be the best time to do it.
I'd like to make a dry mix that, when dry, has a slight sandy colour.

How do i got about making the mix? what sand/cement should i use and at what ratio?

Hope some of you DIYers can help this amateur.

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt use a dry mix. Use a slightly damp mix of 1:3, just damp enough to be able to ball it in your hands, without leaving any residue. You can then point up the slabs for a nice finish. Dry brushing is all well and good but you never get as good a result and pointing doesnt take much longer. You also get a more uniform and stronger finish, so you dont have to redo the job in 2 years time. Avoid doing it on a really sunny day as that can dry out the cement to quickly turning it all to powder.

Thanks Thermo

Do you know how to create a mix that dries a snady colour?

Ta
Andy

Hi Andy

You could use some cement dye. I did this recently, having just put down a new patio. I bought a 'BUFF' dye and it looks great with the Yorkstone slabs. It is very easy to use - just mix the powder in with the cement and sand - the amount you use will determine the final colour (instructions will be on the tin)

Good luck.

Gary

Sponsored Links
wheneevr you mix mortar for pointing, use a small bucket to accuratley measure the mix as you pour it into a bigger bucket. That way when you add the colourant it will always be a uniform colour.

Thermo said:
i wouldnt use a dry mix. Use a slightly damp mix of 1:3, just damp enough to be able to ball it in your hands, without leaving any residue. You can then point up the slabs for a nice finish. Dry brushing is all well and good but you never get as good a result and pointing doesnt take much longer. You also get a more uniform and stronger finish, so you dont have to redo the job in 2 years time. Avoid doing it on a really sunny day as that can dry out the cement to quickly turning it all to powder.
I'm a little confused, when you say it "doesn't take much longer", are you sure? I dry mix pointed 28 sq metres of 2' square flags in under an hour this week. I pointed 32 sq metres (riven laid paving for my parents) not long ago using regular wet mortar and it took over a day. It's not really comparable time wise. Sure I agree that wet (or moist) mortar is better than dry mix but where speed is concerned you can't beat dry mix surely. It's not so bad when there's a reasonably wide joint, but when you're doing anything like a 10mm joint then dry mix will ensure that your mortar reachs the bottom of that joint better than a "damp" mix.

if your used to doing it itrs fairly quick, ok may take a few hours longer, but its a better finish and a stronger result than dry mix. lasts longer too, so theres a long term time saving. You may ensure that the mortar has reached the bottom, but for it to be effective and strong it needs to be packed in there. If you wet point it will be tightly packed in. If you dry point it wont. When you dry point it fills up the joint, but if you dampen it down and then point it with a pointing tool, it will drop to about half full as its so loose. You then need to top it up. Just try it on one joint and see how many times you need to repeat it to actaully fill the joint correctly. It doesnt adhere to the slabs as well, because the cement is so dry and it can dehydrate before its had time to set properly, resulting in it crumbling.

Its a personal choice, but i know what i always choose!

I have also seen it done by filling the joints with water and, once the top surfaces are dry and the cracks simply wet not full, brush in the dry mix. you can then strike it with a pointing tool as the water will make a moist mortar in the cracks. Never tried this method but if speed really IS your main criterin then this might be a good compromise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back