EXTEND OVER CONCRETE GUTTERS

PCY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to purchase a bungalow with concrete gutters. Did they still use these in the 60's ? This is supposed to be when it was built.
The owner has started to extend the roof by 2 tiles over the gutter and fixed pvc. This looks a lot easier than having them cut off. Any advice please would be appreciated. I recon there is about 30 mts of gutter.
cheers
Paul
emailto: [email protected]

Sponsored Links
plenty of posts regarding this if you search for finlock guttering the main problem with it is the damp penetrating personally i would take it off but everyone has a different opinion on these they are like marmite but i suppose by extending the tiles and cloaking the concrete with pvc you are in effect stopping any rainwater from going in the finlock so stopping damp and cold transfer cheers

• Thanks
Reactions: PCY
if you search for finlock guttering the main problem with it is the damp penetrating personally i would take it off but everyone has a different opinion on these they are like marmite
My opinion FWIW is - don`t even consider buying it :eek: it ranks with prefabs and metal framed buildings . Just my opinion ;)

if you search for finlock guttering the main problem with it is the damp penetrating personally i would take it off but everyone has a different opinion on these they are like marmite
My opinion FWIW is - don`t even consider buying it :eek: it ranks with prefabs and metal framed buildings . Just my opinion ;)
cheers for your opinion
apart from the gutters its a good bungalow if we get it at the right price.
My son bought one with the same finlock gutters and had them cut back and pvc facias and gutters put back. Looks good now.

Sponsored Links
like i said everyone has a different opinion some not as constructive as others ! if you like the bungalow i would say go for it and try and get the price reduced by £5000 there is nothing wrong with the building itself it is only the guttering and to do it properly cutting it off extending rafters and fitting fascia soffit and guttering would probably cost £2500 - £3000 (what i would charge) for about 30m this would at least get you your money back if you wished to sell because future purchasers will not have to worry about it like you say the rest of the bungalow is solid i wouldnt have a problem buying one of these just go into it with enough information to be confident

like i said everyone has a different opinion some not as constructive as others ! if you like the bungalow i would say go for it and try and get the price reduced by £5000 there is nothing wrong with the building itself it is only the guttering and to do it properly cutting it off extending rafters and fitting fascia soffit and guttering would probably cost £2500 - £3000 (what i would charge) for about 30m this would at least get you your money back if you wished to sell because future purchasers will not have to worry about it like you say the rest of the bungalow is solid i wouldnt have a problem buying one of these just go into it with enough information to be confident
The owner has done a 5 mtr length by extending by 2 tiles over the finlock and pvc 'd facias etc. layman wouldn't know. I only knew because I noticed the rest around the back of the bungalow. What do you think of doing it that way without cutting?

like i said in my first post, as long as the rainwater is not going in the finlock guttering then i suppose this will work alright as long as the underside of the guttering is cladded also to stop cold transfer the only other thing to remember is if you ever want to fit new windows make sure there is lintels fitted because originally they often never did if doing it this way i would fix timber to front face of finlock then fit tongue and groove soffit board underneath then clad over with a fascia board and fit upvc gutter you would still have to extend the rafters to carry the roofing battens then refelt and tile and new ridges so i would imagine this would cost in the region of £1800 hope this helps

• Thanks
Reactions: PCY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back