Extend twin and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently preparing my sons bedroom for plastering and need to move the single gang socket up the wall as was too low down to fit a new taller skirting.

The wall is lath and plaster and when I was removing the back box the lower right area of wall came away and was stuffed with newspaper (1984) in the back of the hole.

https://ibb.co/iPPD4H
https://ibb.co/i2QmPH

Ideally I need to move the socket up to the red area in the picture. My plan is:

1. Cut new hole in wall using multi tool trying not to damage laths.
2. Fit 47mm dry lining box.
3. Extend two cables from original socket using Wago box, push connectors and 2.5mm twin and earth to new backbox.
4. Patch wall using plasterboard.

Does this look ok?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes. Best is to extend both cables up the wall, then the ring final connections are available to testing at some time in the future.

You can always notch a wooden upright (stud) and fix a metal box to this.

I read about that as an option last night. Think that would be my best option and I have some spare metal ones to hand.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I would use a 25mm box and notch the stud, fit a double socket (y)

Dave

The multitool idea works well on the lath and plaster, however note the plaster is no good for the blade,ideally use an old blade to go through the plaster, knock the centre out, then change to a nice sharp blade to go through the laths without shaking it around to much, after the hole is cut, yo might want to try and force a bit of PVC into the cut edge to bond plaster to lathes

All done. Notched the stud and all fits ok.

F8685604-A0D9-4C49-A8F9-A32BC2DAC280.jpeg

Thanks for your advice.

Seeing as the wall needs repairing anyway, can you move the socket to the right a bit?

The metal back box in the wall doesn't have to be centred over the stud. Even if that means you need to drill two fixing holes in the box yourself, because the pre-drilled holes wont line up (avoid the knockouts!!;)).

Ye, i am sure the OP has ripped out his nice neat job to moved the socket 150mm to comply with the regs:(

"What a pity "...... that you guys did not alert him to the 'issue' in his original post, in which, he provide a picture of the existing wiring and the intended 'new' location.

Dave

All done. Notched the stud and all fits ok.

View attachment 141343

Thanks for your advice.
[/QUOTE]

In the grand scheme, I would not loose sleep over the position of the box relative to the cables.

But yes, technctechn the box should line up with the cable run if you are meeting current regs.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back