Extending a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of redecorating and fitting a new kitchen but as i would like to move the sink and add a few more sockets i would like to know if the work i would like doing can be done.
I have two single sockets that are fed by two wires (ring main?) and what looks to be a separate earth wire which i would like blanking off and these wires extending below the worktop before they will route to the right of the boiler. The first socket will be a double under the worktop for appliances, the second will be above the worktop and be for smaller appliances and finally a single socket will be needed up the wall for a cooker hood.

I am presuming that the two wires and what looks to be a separate earth core are the ring main so this can be extended from the sockets that i wish to have blanked off, if this is the case the additional sockets will be on the main circuit so they will not be spurs?

I have added a few photos to help, enjoy the previous cabinet installers drilling as he almost went through the boiler feed conduit and he did go through the 40A cooker conduit :eek: but thankfully not the cable.

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to work on electrics in a kitchen unless you are part P registered. You are obviously not as if you were you would not need to ask these questions.

You are not allowed to work on electrics in a kitchen unless you are part P registered.
Since when?

In terms of what you probably had in your mind, even that ceased to be true on April 6th.

Kind Regards, John

1st Jan 2004.

Whatever happened on 6th April, you still need to comply with BS 7671 and be competent which you don't appear to be.

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to work on electrics in a kitchen unless you are part P registered.
Since when? In terms of what you probably had in your mind, even that ceased to be true on April 6th.
1st Jan 2004. Whatever happened on 6th April, you still need to comply with BS 7671 and be competent which you don't appear to be.
It has always been acceptable for anyone who could do the work competently to do any electrical work. From 1st January 2005 (not 2004), people who were not registered as self-certifiying electricians had to notify certain works (including works in kitchens) to LABC, but it remained totally possible for anyone to do the work, provided they complied with Part P (which, in general, can be achieved by complying with BS7671). On 6th April 2013, the list of electrical works which were notifiable was seriously reduced, work in kitchens being one of the things which disappeared from the list on that date. Your statement was therefore wrong, on several counts.

Kind Regards, John

The accepted rules are that cables where not visible must either run in permitted areas or be identified by the existence of an electrical item and have to run horizontal or vertical to the identifying item.

You show diagonal lines these are not permitted.

Leicestershire being in England means no need to notify but clearly still needs inspection and testing.

The big problem with British electrician systems is our use of the ring which although is a very good system relies on rules being followed to prevent overheating so testing to ensure what you have is a ring is rather important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back