Extending a wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to move one of our PIRs and unfortunately the distance is a bit further, so I've got to join a bit of wire in, as it's not possible to replace the whole length.

What's the best and most reliable way of joining two lengths of alarm cable? Is it to solder them together, or just to twist the ends together and insulate it with insulation tape.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Either use solder and heatshrink or use a proper alarm junction box.

Avoid insulation tape, it tends to go sticky and horrible and sometimes fall off as it ages.

I'll probably go for solder then heat shrink.

Where's the best place to get heatshrink from?

Also, are the junction boxes from Screwfix/Tool station OK?

Not sure on the best place to buy heatshrink in small quantities, normally I'd get it from an electronic components supplier but they tend to either have annoyingly high small order charges or even outright minimum order values at least for those of us without a trade account. I know B&Q sell a kit with various sizes but I bet it's expensive for what you get.

Sponsored Links
I agree with plugwash, solder and heatshrink is the best way.

You can get heatshrink in short lengths from Maplins.

S.A.F.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back