extending cable to move exsisting socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to move an exsisting socket but the cable is short if i extend the cable using terminal blocks do i need to take two cables from the terminal blocks to the socket as part of the ring main

Sponsored Links
If there are two cables going to the socket then it is probably on the ring final. You therefore have two options:
Extend BOTH cables to the new socket position or
Leave the existing socket where it is and just run a single length of 2.5mm cable to the new position (ie create a spur from the ring) and put an extra socket there.

If you join using terminal blocks they must be accesible (ie not covered over). You could, for example, use term blocks inside the existing socket box and put a blank cover over it. Or you can use through crimps and sleeve the joint in heat shrink sleeving. Crimps count as a permanent joint and can be covered over.

All cables must be run in safe zones - vertically or horizontally from a socket or other accessory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back