Moving Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving my cooker 4mtrs across the room, i am proposing to cut the 6mm cable suppling the exsisting cooker and add a 30amp junction box to extend the cable across the room by 4mtrs.
Is it possible to spur off the junction in either 2.5mm or 6mm (please advise) and add another double socket, :?: am i wrong in assuming i can extend the existing connecton using a junction box??

Sponsored Links
you can not spur off of it, but you can use a suitably rated jb

So, I can extend the cable using a junction box but i can't branch off :?: the junction box to add a double socket :!:

In Layman's terms, why :?:

A circuit is designed for a certain load, in your case a cooker, it is not designed for a cooker and sockets, this would likely overload it, a cooker as its high power should have a dedicated circuit that can supply its full load

Sponsored Links
what power rating is the cooker?
what size is the fuse/breaker at the CU?

actually the reason ia that you will probably have a 40 amp (ish) fuse /mcb for your cooker. (you said you have 6mm cable)

you want to connect a 2.5mm cable into this 6mm cable (that is what you said)

now suppose something goes wrong, on the 2.5mm cable

the fuse will go at 40 + amps
your 2.5 cable may last up to 30 amps (for a very short time) while the 2.5 cable is carrying this high current it will get red hot and setfire to anything it can.

that is why you can not spur off a 6mm cable with a 2,.5mm cable

does the above make sence?

it is also the same reason i said if you use a suitably rated jb, not yes to your 30 a jb

Thanks, not as simple as it seems :rolleyes:

Would 45amp be suitably sufficient for the junction box :?:

60 would be better, (more space) what rating is cooke fuse?

breezer said:
now suppose something goes wrong, on the 2.5mm cable

the fuse will go at 40 + amps
your 2.5 cable may last up to 30 amps (for a very short time) while the 2.5 cable is carrying this high current it will get red hot and setfire to anything it can.
if a cable fault is drawing 30 amps then you have far far worse problems than whether the cable can safely supply 30A (you have a fault that is giving off 7KW of heat that has nowhere to go)

just make sure that the breaker at the CU will trip fast enough on short cuircuits and that there is protection against overload somewhere (possiblly plug fuses) and theres no problem

breezer said:
it will still cause a fire which is what i said

if a cable fault is drawing 30A then it will almost certainly cause a fire REGARDLESS of whether the cable can safely supply 30A

lukilly thats not the way cables normally fail. The cable failures usually tend to end up as dead short at which point what matters is making sure the overall fault loop impedance causes sufficiant current to fast-trip the breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back