Extending cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have asked an electrician to fit a new consumer unit for me. The current one is the original from when the house was built around 50 years ago. He is local and knows the wiring in these houses. He has told me over the phone what he is going to do which is to fit the new unit in a slightly different location as it is much larger than the original. My only concern is that there is no extra length on the wiring going into the current unit. Will he be able splice in extra cable to reach the new unit? What do the current regs say about in line joints?

Sponsored Links
If he is an electrician who is undertaking this work then he must be registered.
He should appear here http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

To be registered he must be qualified.
To be qualified he will be competent and will know exactly how to connect additional wiring to meet the relavent regulations.
There are several acceptable methods, depending on the situation.
You are paying him for his competence, why not ask him?

The done thing these days seems to be an adaptable box crammed full of crimped joints. Personally I am not keen on this approach and prefer DIN rail terminals along with slide on cable numerals to identify circuits. It is largely due to reasons of cost that the first method is often selected!

I don't have any problems with him being registered, he is. As an Electrical Engineer myself (not a qualified Electrician though, which is why I am employing one), I look at jobs like this and form an idea as to what needs to be done. In this case it is pretty obvious that the current wiring will not reach a relocated panel. I just wanted to check that I have not given him a difficult job to do.

Sponsored Links
If he is an electrician who is undertaking this work then he must be registered.
He should appear here http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk
Firstly it depends on where the work is geographically. Secondly, it still might not be true that the Electrician must be registered.

Thirdly, if the Electrician is registered he still may not appear on that website. There are no Domestic Installers here, and that site only lists people registered as Domestic Installers. Here there are only Approved Contractors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back