Extending central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to extend my central heating system into a ground floor extension.
I am prepared to do the work myself but I would probably find using the plastic 'speedfit' stuff easier to use as I am a novice at soldering, although I have done small amounts before.
What are the disadvantages, if any, to the use of the plastic plumbing?

Sponsored Links
Extra cost, leaks, floppy pipes?

Why not use capillary ( solder ring ) fittings and practice as you go. Its really VERY easy!

Copper is SO VERY much better!

Tony

Yuk - Nasty plastic

Don't do it. Went out to one of these so called excellent plastic installations last week, what a shambles it looked for starters, one of the fittings on the mains cold feed had blown off, nice mess and a nice £100 bill for the customer at 11pm at night.

DON'T DO IT !!

I went last week toa 3 month old bathroom where they had fitted the towel rail in plastic and the push fit coupling had popped out and brught the ceiling down., i repiped in copper knowing it will be trouble free for many a year.

Sponsored Links
Like most things in life, if you choose good quality components and install them properly, you will have no problems. Plastic pipe + good quality fittings (eg. Tectite, Cuprofit) + doing the job properly = a good reliable installation.
One of the pitfalls is the thermal expansion (although on long runs this can also be a problem with copper), which is around 10 times that for copper, but, again, if properly designed and installed, there will be no problem.
Plastic plumbing has a very high market share in mainland Europe - it would not have achieved this by being no good.

Many thanks guys for all your responses.
Not quite unanimous but I have been swayed against the plastic a bit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back