Extending CH to loft room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a typical central heating system with an expansion tank in the loft in my 2 storey Victorian house (ground & 1st floor).

Having now got a loft room, to add a third storey, it has a small loft space aove this new room. If I move the expansion tank into this space, will I then be able to add a radiator to the existing system in the new loft room.

The water pressure in the pipes downstairs will be higher but I wouldn't have thought that this would be a problem, unless the pump has an issue with this??

Anything I should be thinking about to do this?

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having now got a loft room, to add a third storey, it has a small loft space aove this new room. If I move the expansion tank into this space, will I then be able to add a radiator to the existing system in the new loft room.
That should be fine.

Anything I should be thinking about to do this?
You'll need longer pipes. :LOL:

Out of curiousity op, have you got a cold water tank to move as well?

Sponsored Links
I'm not planning to move the cold water tank. The loft room ensuite is fed by mains for the sink and toilet and by a pumped tank feed for the electric shower.

The CH header tank will also be fed by mains.

Mains pressure here is not very good but good enough for sinks & tanks, just not showers. Comes with living on a hill where the mains might be more than 1 bar at street level but the loft room is probably 50ft above this.

Thanks Sooey - longer pipes, some joints & some insulation I think. Its only a small tank so the weight will be fine on the ceiling rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back