Extending circuits to C.U's.

S

sparky40

When replacing or moving a consumer unit would it be ok to put circuit's that are short into a 'wiring centre' like is used on c/heating systems ?
(If all circ's were marked up, sleeved, and put in the correct rating connectors and the 'box' labelled up'.)
I understand that crimping is the most reliable method where accessability is a problem, but if the wiring centre was accessable then its ok.
I personally think that crimps in trunking fitted up to the c/u is the easiest, neatest way around this .
My 'Boss' has also suggested that when replacing a c/u, if old colours are present then they should be sleeved with the new colours, I am sailing close to the wind after a slightly heated arguement about this, Any comments please ?
Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
A neat way is to use an enclosure like a CU or a DB in the old position, but instead of MCBs fit it with DIN-rail mounted connectors - cable in at top, out at bottom.

I have a preference for a metal enclosure but I suppose anything would do.

A CH wiring centre I would not have thought would have anough capacity.

Like you say - Crimps though would surely be the best way - and maybe a length of trunking to put all the joined sections in. Crimps with attached heat shrink sleeving are now available.

As for the colours, use a colour change label on the CU and there is no need to sleeve the cables (nothing to stop you doing so though)

Appendix 7

2.1 ) An alteration or addition made to a single phase installation need not be marked at the interface provided that:
i) the old cables are correct identified by the colour red for phase and black for neutral, and

ii) the new cables are correct identified by the colour brown for phase and blue for neutral.

That seems sensible, I can't see that red/brown and black/blue are at all confusing. But it is more of a worry with 3-phase, or with 3-core cables.

Sponsored Links
With 3 phase at the interface you need to mark the old wires and the new wires with L1, L2, L3, N, hopefully so someone doesn't get the blacks and blues mixed up.
I take it you mean 3core SWA? This should be sleeved up to remove confusion (until the sleeve drops off).

Spark123 said:
...should be sleeved up to remove confusion (until the sleeve drops off).
:LOL:

Yes, but I was also thinking even more of 3 & E for 2way light switching, which is very common in domestics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back