Replacing a pull cord bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace a broken bathroom pull cord light switch in my new house. The old switch was a 5A 2 way switch with only 1 terminal connected so i replaced this with the nearest i could find - a 6A 2 way switch. Unfortunately the labelling is different on the new switch so i'm not 100% sure if i've done it correctly. The earth wire is connected ok but there are 2 more wires (1 black with red sleeving and 1 red) to connect. I connected the black (red sleeved) wire to the C terminal and the red wire to L1. The reason i ask if this is right is that my power kept tripping out when i put the dishwasher on!!

Would i do better to get a 1 way switch, or have i done this correctly?

Thanks!!!!

Nick

Sponsored Links
Red to c (common) black with red sleeving to L1, but it will work fine the way you have wired it.
The earths (green/yellow sleeving) go to the earth stud or into a chockblock (not L2) with in the switch housing.
The light switch & the dish washer will be on different circuits so you have a fault on the dish washer itself or the circuit me thinks.

Thanks for the info. I'll rewire the light correctly as i took the switch down when everything starded tripping out. If i isolate the upstairs lights and run the dishwasher, i can confirm it's unrelated to the wiring i have done if it still trips out. My girlfriend won't believe it's not my fault unless i prove it to her!!

Thanks for your help,

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back