Extending driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I want to extend my driveway as I've managed to blag the neighbours old block paving which matches ours.

I have a couple of queries though if anyone can help.

1) Do I still need to put the new edge course in first? I was hoping to start from the existing driveway and finish on a whole brick meaning less cuts (existing pattern is 45degree)

2) How do I deal with this drain cover? Can the round to square covers be used on this type (doesn't look like it to me) or do I just need to pave around it? I'm not even sure whether it will be level with the drive but it won't have a car wheel on it. If it's not level what can I do to reduce trip hazard? Just have it sloping away all sides or where needed?

3) I have these patches of concrete next to the old pavers. How much of a concern are they? Are they concealing pipes/wires under, or was it done so they didn't have to cut a slab to fit?

Thanks very much in advance

Attachments

• IMG_7168.jpg
    IMG_7168.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7167.jpg
    IMG_7167.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7166.jpg
    IMG_7166.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7165.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
Are you extending out where the grass is, and laying them parallel to those existing edge rows, or continuing the blocks just down the pathway?
Personally I would lay straight edges down each side to the length you are going first. I've seen paving where they have not used edging stones and the outer blocks tend to work loose and lift or dip.
The concrete slabs may be over cables or pipes and save lifting full slabs or they may have run short on slabs. Either way, whatever is on top will need to be lifted if access is ever required to get underneath so I think it's perfectly reasonable to remove them and replace with blocks. Having concrete between the blocks will not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

And another question, when bedding the edging blocks in, would the cement be on top of the type 1?

Sorry I can't answer that one. I've watched guys laying the blocks and seen pictures of them being done but there was never any mention about cementing straight on to type 1, (whatever that is).

Sponsored Links
type 1 is a size of hardcore sub-base.

Lift that black cover and see which direction the service goes, could be in the direction of the concrete. Bets its data/telephone line in 1" condiut and can be dug out and repositioned when you dig down for your sub-base.

Ideally replace the black cover with a metal one and frame.

Put a level on your drive, it *should* have been laid down with a fall for rain water, just match it.

Yes you can start from the existing paving, personally I'd lift the inline bricks and any cut ones and continue the herringbone pattern for maximum matching-ness.

Remember the edging blocks hold the herring bone blocks together from squeezing apart so they should be well fixed down ( on mortar, haunched around the edge)

type 1 is a size of hardcore sub-base.

Lift that black cover and see which direction the service goes, could be in the direction of the concrete. Bets its data/telephone line in 1" condiut and can be dug out and repositioned when you dig down for your sub-base.

Ideally replace the black cover with a metal one and frame.

Put a level on your drive, it *should* have been laid down with a fall for rain water, just match it.

Yes you can start from the existing paving, personally I'd lift the inline bricks and any cut ones and continue the herringbone pattern for maximum matching-ness.

Remember the edging blocks hold the herring bone blocks together from squeezing apart so they should be well fixed down ( on mortar, haunched around the edge)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I can replace the inspection chamber frame. Seems to be fixed to the waste pipework

That was the plan to effectively just the two lines of straight bricks and move them to the new edge.

The one thing I'm not sure on though, do I lay the edging bricks on a bed of cement on the type 1, or off of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back