Extending external telephone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, my friends have just moved into a rented accomodation, where the landlord and estate agent are saying there is no contractual obligation to provide a working telephone line.

There external telephone cable and `cable` tv have been ripped out and are lying at the front of their house.

Now I have a fair idea of what to do - but want to run this past you guys first if i may.

http://www.tmilimited.co.uk/Telephone cable.gif

The cable outside has 4 ends on it, orange, orange and white, blue and blue and white - as in the TOP picture above - so 2 pair?

Do I simply buy something like this for the outside connection:

http://www.tel-ext.co.uk/shop/index...lephone-block-connector-screw-down-/p_70.html

and a reel of the same 2 pair telephone cable and connect them together? Or is there something more complex to do? This is only for broadband and standard use.

I will also be having to fit a new socket inside... as the builders helpfully decided not to do that - so I would assume this would be suitable:

http://www.tel-ext.co.uk/shop/index...phone-socket-2/3c-reverse-bt-port-/p_230.html

Does reverse latching have any significance? Or can I wire it up to the standard - http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/wiring/pictures/socketwire2.jpg

Oli

Sponsored Links
You will have to contact BT or another service provider as the wires you have need to be connected at the exchange and then that circuit allocated a telephone number and an account opened in your name for the costs of your calls.

Landlords and / or estate agents have no obligation to provide a working phone line. Some builders do put the internal wiring in before plastering but it is BT ( as OpenReach ) who provide the connection if asked to.

The cable outside has 4 ends on it, orange, orange and white, blue and blue and white - as in the TOP picture above - so 2 pair?

That is INTERNAL cable and not the main cable to the exchange.

You will have to contact BT or another service provider as the wires you have need to be connected at the exchange and then that circuit allocated a telephone number and an account opened in your name for the costs of your calls.

Landlords and / or estate agents have no obligation to provide a working phone line. Some builders do put the internal wiring in before plastering but it is BT ( as OpenReach ) who provide the connection if asked to.

That is INTERNAL cable and not the main cable to the exchange.

Wow okay that is very interesting.

Just to clarify the cable outside comes FROM the ground (underneath the road actually) and goes towards the house. So therefore I was assuming it was from the exchange. But after some reading it had occured to me that the cabling may be insufficient.

Therefore in this case is the only option to contact a BT engineer or similar? Obviously there is no way round a connection fee if the current house has been disconnected, but it was previously connected (it is on a main street in london) and all that looks to have happened is the cabling been pulled from the wall during refurb, and left lying outside.

Sponsored Links
Even if the house was connected at one time you'll still be charged for a reconnection, barring the odd special offer if you can find it.

You used to get BT reconnections for free but thanks to the 'open' market in telecoms providers 'Openreach' have been made a separate operating group and they charge all providers for connections regardless.

Of course if it's not a BT cable then you may get a different deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back