extending loft hatch. help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im extending my loft hatch in a 1930s home, at the minute the hatch is between the ceiling joist.Its a semi detached house, the ceiling joists are 3x2 and run from front to back of house, with neighbour on the right. From my inspection none of the roof is supported on the joist i want to remove. Iv bought a abru loft ladder kit the dimensions are 113cm by 55cm.

Iv attached a drawing of my layout and plan.

In drawing 1 this is how it looks now, "C" joist is sat on an interior wall the whole length.
In drawing 2, im going to support all "abc" Joist by screwing a length of 3x2 to "a b an c" (D). Cut out part of joist B and screw in 2 pieces of 3x2 (E) to A B and C. The span between joist A and C is 77cm (the width of my hatch is 55cm).

In drawing 3, im going to screw a length of 3x2 (F) from (E to E). Which will gibe me my required hole to fit my 113cm by 55cm loft kit.

What do you think ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back