Loft Access Ladder Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

I have been looking at fitting a loft access with extendable ladder, as my current hole in the ceiling is a bit of a mare to get through.

I have measured the width of the joists today in the loft and they are 40cm apart, the width of the extendable ladder and access hatch in B&Q is 55cm... DAM!.. thankfully I hadn't brought anything yet, this is just in the planning stage.

The house is an old one, and with another baby on the way we could do with the extra storage space more readily available. So does anyone know, is 40cm quite a standard gap between joists and can anyone recommend a place to get the access hatch and ladder from?

Many Thanks

Duncan

Sponsored Links
Normal practice is to trim the ceiling joists to form a larger hatch. You will struggle to get yourself between 40mm joist spacings let alone trying get boxes through.

Personally I would not touch the joist, 400mm is ample.
I may cut a bigger hole within in the joist space and fit supporting timber noggins for the hatch.
So it was longer rather than wider.
But access to this area must be taken in to consideration, it is not always suitable on top of narrow stairways/landings

Sponsored Links
brilliant. thanks for everyones quick replies...

I'm going to get a wickes ladder.

At present though my current hatch is a bit of a mare as its a push up one, and is in an awkward positon. Am goign to move it which is going to be no problem, but would need a pull down hatch. Any ideas where?? Again, needs to fit the gap of 40cm.

Thanks

Now that's where maltaron's post will be useful.
Most pre built hatches will be larger than your current hatch size, so you may need to extend the width of the hole and would be useful to have the ladder attachment too, including ladders. So an all in one jobby!
Or if you are any good with timber or know a joiner they can make one for you.
400mm may be a bespoke size for pre-built units.

If you widen the hatch, I think that ceiling joists are under some tension, stopping the roof from spreading. I'd be happier with connection plates between the noggins and joists.

You haven't mentioned insulation and boarding in the loft. These might need some thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back