Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Currently have a loft hatch that is just a lid that you push up and move out of the way which you have to do off some step ladders. I'm wanting to change this to a pull down hatch with ladders if possible to make access easier. The house is 1930's so not sure if my existing loft size is going to be an odd size, I've measure the hatch lid and it is 670mm x 570mm, the floor to ceiling height is 2750mm. I've poked my head into the loft and took some pics (below), the joists are 50mm thick and I have measured the joist distances which are 825mm (outside edges) one way and 725mm (outside edges) the other. Not sure how easy it would be to convert with the hatch currently being up against one wall. I've had a look on screwfix and saw a Manthorpe drop hatch but dimensions are bigger than my cutout, is my hatch an odd size? Can someone give some advise on how to do this please.

Loft hatch.jpg

Loft hatch trim.jpg

Loft hatch joists.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hey snowyy.

Ive just done exactly this. Provided you dont have anything in the way such as a ceiling binder or similar you should be able to make one of the off the shelf hatch and ladder kits fit.
If you go into the loft and look at the joists you should have some directly around the hatch. You have to prop up the current ceiling joists (im my case i didnt, i screwed a piece of 3x2 to the top of 3 joists, the one i was cutting and the 2 either side to support it), cut out the ones around the current hatch and fit new joists to make a hole the size of the current hatch. The off the shelf hatches will simply screw to these joists. I used 45x75mm C16 timber from B&Q to re make my joists. You will have to re plaster the ceiling after of course.

Hey snowyy.

Ive just done exactly this. Provided you dont have anything in the way such as a ceiling binder or similar you should be able to make one of the off the shelf hatch and ladder kits fit.
If you go into the loft and look at the joists you should have some directly around the hatch. You have to prop up the current ceiling joists (im my case i didnt, i screwed a piece of 3x2 to the top of 3 joists, the one i was cutting and the 2 either side to support it), cut out the ones around the current hatch and fit new joists to make a hole the size of the current hatch. The off the shelf hatches will simply screw to these joists. I used 45x75mm C16 timber from B&Q to re make my joists. You will have to re plaster the ceiling after of course.

yeah thought it may be a case of having to modify existing joists etc to make hole the right size, was hoping to avoid that. I found a drop down hatch last night on google called "Timloc 1169", the dimensions given look like it would work and all I would have to do is remove the archatrive and fit this. The door is plastic and not capable of having loft ladders attached to it however I've seen loft ladders that can be attached to the joists so you just drop down the hinged door and then pull down the ladders.

https://www.tradecounterdirect.com/...MIuuzYvuSl8QIVlobVCh0R7gX5EAQYAyABEgJAZPD_BwE

Timloc 1169.png

Timloc hatch.png

Sponsored Links
51636D5B-268F-4AEC-8BB3-DDE897169FF0.png I fitted this type in my 1930s house , because the ladders just fold onto the hatch you don’t have to worry about obstructions around the hatch …

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back