Extending my BT line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a BT line which comes into the house and connects to the openreach socket with just the blue and white wires, the rest have been cut off.

I need to move the socket. Does anyone know what I'll need in order to extend this so the socket can go in another room?

I'm guessing the cable of course but how to join the two wires and what cable to use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You're supposed to extend from the detachable front faceplate and not interfere with BT's wiring.

If the master socket is screw terminal use a Block Terminal 80A. If the master socket is IDC terminal use BT 77 or BT 78 and for cable use CW1308.

If your socket is connected using blue & white then good chance there is already a junction box somewhere. In which case replace existing cable with longer length one and avoid extra joins.

Sponsored Links
There's a grey box outside and the cable comes through the wall straight to the master socket.

Are you saying I could open that up and stick some replacement cw1308 cable in then run it to where I want the master socket?

Thanks

There's a grey box outside and the cable comes through the wall straight to the master socket.

Are you saying I could open that up and stick some replacement cw1308 cable in then run it to where I want the master socket?

Possibly. You might need some jelly crimps 8A or 8B in the outside box. If it's the old fig 8 drop wire that doesn't work with jelly crimps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back