Extending opening at back of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are currently some fairly old, smallish french doors at the back of my house and I am thinking of extending the opening & fitting new, wider more standard size doors.

This would involve altering the brickwork. I want to find out what this would involve before deciding who to hire / what i can do myself.

There are 'soldiers' (bricks postioned vertically) over the doors at the moment (as there are over our windows). I presume these act as a sort of lintel?

Would it be possible to hold the brickwork above the door with acros, insert a bigger lintel & then chop out the brickwork as necessary or is this oversimplifying things.

Many thanks,,,,

Sponsored Links
how old is your house? and what is the wall construction? Cavity or solid? The soldier course does not form any structural support unless it is an arch and probably means there is a catnic style lintel in there at the minute.

It is simple as you say but not to be undertaken lightly as it is structural work and if you haven't done anything like that before it might be a good idea to get a friend who has just for piece of mind and an extra pair of hands.

You put in the necessary support, remove and replace the lintel or lintels, cut and or tooth out the brickwork to suit the new opening, close your cavities and make good.

If you could answer the wall type and age questions there are plenty of knowledgable sorts on here to give you some detailed pointers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back