Widening nibs under concreted lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Terraced house with internal porch to front door. Facade of house has entry-way to internal porch as opening (no door) with concrete lintel supporting opening. There are nibs to left and right of opening which widens out, inside internal porch, with 4ft travel to front door. In summary, the front of the house is a complete solid wall with a lobby behind, gaining access to the front door!

My question is...
I have to widen the opening in the front facade, i.e. widen the gap between the nibs, to allow access for a wheelchair, self-propelled by the user.

This would involve more than just removing the pebble-dashing that currently covers the brickwork.

Any widening of this opening, involving cutting away brickwork, would leave the lintel above with less of an overlap, onto supporting brickwork.

However, the opening is quite tall and, rather than replacing the lintel with a wider one, I am considering spreading the load with a corbelling solution, using tiles or slate to bring the opening back in at the top to catch the lintel!

Does this sound like a viable plan?
Can anyone point me to a reference site which may provide some technical data?

Many thanks,
deano.

Sponsored Links
corbeling using slates or tiles would not give enough support for a lintel!
you should install a longer lintel to do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back