Extending outdoor power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power supply already running from the house to an outdoor socket that I use for lawnmower power.

Im in the process of building a log cabin in the garden and I'll want electricity in the cabin when its completed.

Is it straight forward to extend the power supply from the outdoor socket to the cabin? The distance is approx 10 metres between the two points. Im looking for something a little more permanent that hooking up an extension lead to the existing supply everytime I use the shed.

Sponsored Links
It really depends how the existing outdoor socket is supplied, and how much power you want available in the new outbuilding.

I didnt install the outdoor supply, it was there when we moved in. Cable is running underground so I cant see where it enters the house. Its a fairly thick cable going into the outdoor supply, it has 600/1000v stamped on the cable going into the socket.

Only really looking to run an xbox in the cabin, some lighting too, so three 240v sockets at the most.

Sponsored Links
I wish it was that simple. There are numerous things to check.
1) Is it a ring (unlikely) unfused spur, fused spur or radial?
2) What size MCB/RCBO/Fuse protects it?
3) What in the loop impedance?
4) What is the earth system TT or TN?
The list goes on and I realise most DIY guys do not really know what loop impedance is or care. But to give some sort of answer does need more information.

Ideal would be if you have the Installation or Minor works certificate issued when it was fitted. Failing that switching or pulling fuses you should be able to tell us if fused or using a MCB or RCBO (like MCB but with test button on it) and what size that protective device is.

Does it already have RCD protection.

And as always pictures always help. At the moment you question is like saying I have a car how much fuel will I need to travel 200 miles.

I realise an Xbox does not take much power but still to extend you need to at least work out if a unfused spur as not permitted to supply another spur from an unfused spur so really do need a lot more information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back