Extending ring main without junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As per title in "theory"
can you extend the ring by breaking it and and adding extra sockets by just adding new wiring between the existing sockets and new sockets and then back to existing sockets? People always mention Junction boxes or crimping, is this just down to cable length

I am obviously missing something...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's down to not being able to replace the cable that originally ran between two sockets, and having to join the new cable to it.

When you say replace the cable, do you mean for accessibility reasons? I though the wire was constantly broken each time it hits a socket and leaves a socket?

It is broken at each point, however at an accessory the join is accessable.

Sponsored Links
What he means is that the cable joints are all accessable for inspection and testing if they are joined at a socket outlet and NOT under the floor in a junction box.

What he means is that the cable joints are all accessable for inspection and testing if they are joined at a socket outlet and NOT under the floor in a junction box.

Yes. I understand that. In theory though you do not necessarily need a junction box? It seems junction box and extend ring are always in the same breath.

No, not necesserally. A junction box is used where a cable needs to be extended, however any junction box using non-permanent connections must be accessable for inspection and testing.
There is nothing stopping you removing a leg of a RFC and re-routing the ring if you choose to.

Do you mean that you know where the cable runs and you just want to break into it with a socket

============================

==========[ ]================

You can do this but unless there is a fair bit of slack in the run it will be difficult to get the wires through the box to the socket terminals.

Do you mean that you know where the cable runs and you just want to break into it with a socket

You can do this but unless there is a fair bit of slack in the run it will be difficult to get the wires through the box to the socket terminals.

Yes.
=========[ ]=======[ ]=========[ ]

For example could I remove the wiring between the 1st and 3rd socket and add in more sockets or do you find you struggle for length at the other end i.e socket 3 and thus need a junction box?

Thanks for replies

Fitting a new acessory to the RFC would involve creating a new "join" in the cable. This can be achieved by either cutting the existing cable or inseting a new run in both of the legs ( I think ??? )

Yes.
=========[ ]=======[ ]=========[ ]

For example could I remove the wiring between the 1st and 3rd socket and add in more sockets or do you find you struggle for length at the other end i.e socket 3 and thus need a junction box?

Thanks for replies

If you can remove and replace the wiring with longer lenghts you should have no problem at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back