Extending a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I would like to add another socket in my dining room. An existing socket already exists in there that is part of the ring.

I would like to extend the ring so accommodate the new socket. However, as the room is completely decorated, I do not really have the option of knocking out a large area to accommodate a junction box.

My question is; Can I crimp the existing power cable to a new length of cable that I can then connect to the new socket and loop back to the existing one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Dave

Sponsored Links
It's not ideal, but you can bury a crimp (as long as it's made by an appropriate compression tool, i.e. one with a ratchet mechanism, not a cheap one), however, the cabling must still be in safe zones (horizontally and vertically from an accessory, and a few others). Can you get under the floor, as if so you could extend it with crimps there?

The floor is concrete so no luck there..

I am intending to run the cable behind the skirting board that runs around the room.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Unless you have accessories on your skirting board (which I'm fairly sure is against the current regs so you shouldn't), then that isn't a safe zone, so unless you can bury your cables at more than 50mm (unlikely as that's normally too far in to a wall), or you use earthed metal conduit or something such as SWA, you can't run your cables there...

Sponsored Links
Rebuke is right. The reason is that people fitting skirting tend to use 3 inch clasp nails - and thats where your cables will be!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back