Extending ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope someone can help.i have a socket in my conservatory fed from socket in lounge as a spur.i need to fit another socket in conservatory so need to make first socket into ring main.then spur off for second socket.can I run cable back from socket to socket in lounge as it's not possible to continue the cable round .also this would mean 4 cables in lounge socket.can you get four cables into a socket

Sponsored Links
That is not how you extend a ring but never mind.

As it appears you can access all the cables, then just change the spur cable (from the socket on the ring) to 4mm² then you can have more than one socket on the spur.

Then it will occur to you that running two cables in the same place is similar to running a thicker cable.

Hi thanks for that as I can access the cables at the moment as am having new panels and cables are inside cavity .does make sense what your sence.do I need to wire second socket in 2.5 or 4mm

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your help I will go that way.just out of curiosity would my first idea been acceptable if I had gone that way

Yes, but you have to separately join - with three connectors - one end of the new cable to one of the ring cables and

put the other end of the new cable in the socket with the other ring cable.

Putting all four in the socket would not extend the ring but make a figure of eight, and as I said, you might as well use a single larger cable.

Yep definitely go with the 4mm cable. Thanks very much for your help much appreciated

I had same problem with mothers house, I used a fuse IMGP7387.jpg swapped double socket for socket fuse and switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back