Extending shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric shower in the bathroom which is no longer used. I wish to install a new shower in another room but want to utilise the 6mm cable that serves the original shower unit. The new shower is a 10kw unit and i want to know the best way to cut into the existing cable in the loft and spur off to the new shower. Should i abandon the old cable and do a straight through joint or could i use a connection box to join all three 'tails' in case we need to use the existing shower at some point again. We will NOT be using the showers at the same time. Your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
6mm is not sufficient for a 10Kw shower. you will need to run a 10mm cable from the consumer unit and chenge the over current device accordingly. This work is also notifiable to building control, if you don't and you burn the house down your insurance is void.

Thanks guys, if i decide to just use the existing shower unit and simply extend the existing cable to the new room, is it ok to join the cable. If so what connectors do i use?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back