extending a shower cable

Sponsored Links
Foucher

Definitely loose connections.

A loose connection will create arcing as the electricity tries to jump gaps. The higher power the circuit, the more heat there is. This is how electrical fires can start.

foucher said:
What causes the cable to burn out at the double pole switch???

I have had this happen 3 times in about 2 years now!

I'm using 10mm cable and the switch is supposed to be 50amp. I am running a 9.5kw on a 40 amp fuse.

I assume it is DIY work, eh?
3 times you say, eh?

I think you've had a good run if it's burned 3 times without serious consequence.
I suggest you leave it alone, before not only your cable is burned out, but your house aswell.

On the other hand, if a pro did the job, I'd sue the a*se off him, and make sure you get it fixed by some other pro.

burnt out switches can be caused by loose connections (which is why all installations should be checked on a regular basis). The other thing you can do to avoid that is to switch the shower on at the shower rather than the switch. Switching that kind of current can cause arcing at the contacts and therefore burning in time.

Sponsored Links
Bas said:
burnt out switches can be caused by loose connections (which is why all installations should be checked on a regular basis). The other thing you can do to avoid that is to switch the shower on at the shower rather than the switch. Switching that kind of current can cause arcing at the contacts and therefore burning in time.

Although you have good suggestions, they are totally unnecessary.

First, how many people have the skill or indeed inclination to check every electrical connection in their house?

Second, how many people use the pull cord instead of the shower button to turn the shower off?

Third, if all these circumstances just happened to come together, the actual arcing, and therefore burning, would occur inside the switch, perhaps burning the switch up, but not burning the cable connections (unless it was a rather large and prolonged arc, which i suggest would result in fire, if not lots of smoke).

The connections on anything over about 40 amps have 2 screws to ensure safe connection; if there is a problem, it means you've bodged the job. Incidentally, electrical screws on large cables (i.e. 6mm and over) should be tightened to within either the screw's cam-out point, or to within your strength. (Do not tighten small cables like this, as it would crush, and therefore damage the cable)

I thought I might get a reply like that - I was actually just trying to answer the question and explain some reasons why switches burn out. This picture might be of interest - I took it just before Christmas - from the outside there was no obvious problems as the CU was mounted quite high! Enjoy! It was hard to see if the switch was just faulty or the problem was caused by a loose connectionhttp://www.btinternet.com/~basinghall/Danger.htm

foucher said:
What causes the cable to burn out at the double pole switch???

I have had this happen 3 times in about 2 years now!

I'm using 10mm cable and the switch is supposed to be 50amp. I am running a 9.5kw on a 40 amp fuse.

Have you replaced the switches that have been made by the same manufacturer? (ie the same "Make" of switch)
If So, Then it could be a design flaw in that particular switch?

I have been on many jobs relating to "Burn Outs", And one of my most common ones was to a certain "Make" of consumer unit, which suffers a burn out on the incoming terminals, (Phase or Neutral) Even though the incoming cables where electrically secure, These faults where put down to "Poor Contact Resistance" On the consumers unit main switch, The strange thing is it only happened on their one way & two way consumer units, And not on their larger ones?

Thought I'd post a follow up...finally!

No it wasn't a DIY job, but thanks for your condescending message sterose.

Found out my teenage daughter was turning the shower on and then the pullcord, "cause it saves getting my arm wet"....this right before she's going in the shower!!! kids eh?

Anyway, don't know if that was the cause of it all but since she stopped doing it all has been well :)

That must be a record, 2 and a half years for a follow up :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back