WAGO - good enough for repairing broken mains cable?

Hi All, and thanks for battling it out, I'm getting similar results all over the internet and no straight answers. I contacted Wago themselves, they say ...
"The 222 series is suitable for 2.5mm² twin and earth, if that is what you are repairing. If the junction box is to be inaccessible when finished, you must follow the instructions for the maintenance free applications (see attached leaflet)."

Thanks. That corresponds with my understanding, and what I've been saying. I'm sure that approach would be OK.

However, as has been said previously, if you used one of the Ashley/Hager maintenance-free junction boxes (which I think is the only alternative to Wago+Wagobox), then there would be no uncertainties or scope for arguments!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Heck my local builder just said use a 32a junction box and be done with it, but I'm glad to follow protocol here as it will be semi inaccessible (under a hatch under a carpet)
That, of course, is what has been done for many decades, until very recently, and there must be millions of junction boxes in service out there which are even less 'accessible' than you describe - and the country has not burnt down as a result!.

However, if you want to be compliant with current regulations, then that is no longer acceptable (for new JBs).

Kind Regards, John

That, of course, is what has been done for many decades, until very recently, and there must be millions of junction boxes in service out there which are even less 'accessible' than you describe - and the country has not burnt down as a result!
I agree, however, the question remains of how many ring finals are out there with open ends on at least one conductor, potentially because of screwed joint boxes.

I have come across more than one that was unresolvable due to a joint that was inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
I agree, however, the question remains of how many ring finals are out there with open ends on at least one conductor, potentially because of screwed joint boxes.
Who knows - although I would be very surprised if the number did not almost fade into insignificance in comparison with the number (millions) of ring finals which did not ever have such a problem.

... and, even on the very rare occasions on which it happens, the risk of this very rare event resulting in any harm is, itself, very small. Whole ring final circuits (let alone part of them) are very rarely anything like 'fully loaded' (i.e. 32A being drawn) for appreciable periods of time, and the cable will commonly have a CCC of 27A (meaning that it is deemed to be 'safe' with up to ~30.5A flowing, indefinitely).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back