WAGO - good enough for repairing broken mains cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I put a nail right through a joist that had cables in, puncturing one cable running through the middle of the joist.

The cable is too tight either side to repair to a single box, so my thought was use a junction box, extend say one metre through the joist, then another junction box on the other end to connect back into the other cable

WAGO comes to mind, with their enclosure box

So, the setup would be, Wagobox, 1 metre length through joist, to another wago box. Can you extend a mains cable with a 32A 222wago? or are two wagos in line a no-no.

Attachments

• 15193418_10154559335835568_1397481859479322313_n.jpg
    15193418_10154559335835568_1397481859479322313_n.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 495
Sponsored Links
Two wago joins is fine, would be better to replace the cable but if that's not an option, what you propose is fine.

A 222 wago is more designed for flex, you would normally use a red 773 on t+e @32A. The lever connector is ok to use, but they're just more expensive

Sponsored Links
some say the 222 are better made, and as its going to be MF, im happy to go for the best.
checked the fuse and its a 20A circuit, so whilst the standard 24 would probably suffice, in case anything chnages the 30+ will be better suited long term.

There is some doubt whether Wagos are "maintenances-free" which will be required if the joints will not be accessible.
My understanding is that they are, BUT ONLY IF USED WITH THE CORRECT ENCLOSURE. WagoBox, as I understand it, is not actually connected with Wago. So I'm not sure if it is the correct enclosure or not for maintenance-free classification.

WagoBox, as I understand it, is not actually connected with Wago. So I'm not sure if it is the correct enclosure or not for maintenance-free classification.
I don't understand what you mean by "not connected". The WAGOBOX is one of the Wago components in the Wago catalogue and on their website, and it is Wago who claim that their 222 and 773 connectors (only) qualify (per BS5733) as MF if used in a WAGOBOX according to their instructions ... so I wonder what you are talking about?

Kind Regards, John

I don't understand what you mean by "not connected". The WAGOBOX is one of the Wago components in the Wago catalogue and on their website, and it is Wago who claim that their 222 and 773 connectors (only) qualify (per BS5733) as MF if used in a WAGOBOX according to their instructions ... so I wonder what you are talking about?

Kind Regards, John
Well I did state that it was MF when used with the appropriate enclosure but I wasn't certain what that enclosure was, so I didn't state categorically that it wasn't the WagoBox.

I did suggest that I BELIEVED that the WagoBox was not connected with Wago themselves but it's entirely possible that I am mistaken. (Or it may have been the case a number of years ago and not now.)

I certainly didn't suggest that I was imparting an infallible statement.

I did suggest that I BELIEVED that the WagoBox was not connected with Wago themselves but it's entirely possible that I am mistaken.
You do, indeed, appear to be mistaken - and I think that there would have probably been serious Trade Mark and/or Copyright infringement issues if they were not 'connected'.

Furthermore, as I said, there is no doubt that Wago claim/believe that their 222 or 773 connectors (but no others) qualify as MF if installed in a WagoBox according to their 'MF' instructions (which include maximum current stipulations). It's up to you to decide whether you believe them, but the OP presumably realised the importance of using the correct enclosure, since he talked about using Wagos in a WagoBox.

Kind Regards, John

Furthermore, as I said, there is no doubt that Wago claim/believe that their 222 or 773 connectors (but no others) qualify as MF if installed in a WagoBox according to their 'MF' instructions (which include maximum current stipulations). It's up to you to decide whether you believe them
It's not really a matter of belief - the maintenance-free (MF) mark will not be valid if used with other connectors or enclosures. It is only valid if used with the products outlined by the manufacturer when they obtained MF status for the arrangement.

It's not really a matter of belief - ...
Maybe not for you, but they have been some people, here and elsewhere, who have expressed concerns about Wago's claims regarding MF status.
.... the maintenance-free (MF) mark will not be valid if used with other connectors or enclosures. It is only valid if used with the products outlined by the manufacturer when they obtained MF status for the arrangement.
That's what I've written, at least twice. Of course, the "MF" mark does not appear on the connectors, but only on the WagoBox (which would have been exceedingly strange if Wago had not been 'connected' with the WagoBox!) - but, as you imply, even that is a little odd (probably unique), since the MF mark only 'means what it says' if the box is used in a certain way.

Kind Regards, John

Hi All, and thanks for battling it out, I'm getting similar results all over the internet and no straight answers.

I contacted Wago themselves, they say

"The 222 series is suitable for 2.5mm² twin and earth, if that is what you are repairing.
If the junction box is to be inaccessible when finished, you must follow the instructions for the maintenance free applications (see attached leaflet)."

For clarification. My circuit is also 20A at the trip switch. I intend to use the wago connectors and their box. Be careful online, their are LOADS of Chinese copies, whilst may be ok, wont have the BS stamps.

here you go.

Heck my local builder just said use a 32a junction box and be done with it, but I'm glad to follow protocol here as it will be semi inaccessible (under a hatch under a carpet)

Attachments

• WAGOBOX large leaflet.pdf
    536.5 KB · Views: 644

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back