Extending slab and new garage plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a couple of questions relating to replacing my garage which i wonder if anyone could help me with. Currently i have a large single concrete panel garage resting on a fairly thick slab (sloped ground from side to side so it varies from 8" to 30" depth). Dimensions of existing garage are approx 3.5m x 7m. The new garage is going to be 5.2m x 7m.

The garage is going to stay a garage but at the back i'm going to build in one or two rooms for an home office so i will need it to be easily heatable. My outline plan follows -

I will need to extend the slab out sideways on the thicker side, i was thinking of building a smallish block wall as a retainer and then fill it in with concrete and use rebar to join, would this work?

Then for construction, i was going to use a dwarf wall of 2 layers of blocks, with dpc in between with SIP panels on top and a truss roof (though maybe SIP if i can get a decent price) and stay under 4m height.

I'm not really sure yet how to handle the two different levels as the garage section will be lower than the office area and i need to work out how to join the DPC in the wall to the slab (which i'll use rubber paint stuff on).

Does that sound reasonable, has anyone done anything similar - would be interested in hearing your story.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You haven't asked anything specific, other than 'will it work' Yes it will, but you haven't provided enough detail.

Sponsored Links
Hard to visulise what you are trying to do, why don't you get Google sketchup and do some drawings with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back