Garage to House Slab Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to join my house to detached garage. Both house and garage are built on separate piled rafts. The gap between my house and garage is about 0.9m and there is a drain which runs down between house and garage, so I'm not keen on wacking piles down! The slab is going to be completely unloaded, a door will be fitted at each end and the roof will be a gable end attached to the side of the house. The garage will still be used as a garage (so not worried about insulation), this is not going to form part of the dwelling. Also, the new floor will not be used for parking cars, just a rat-run from fron to rear of the garage.

Initially, I thought about beam and block, but I don't like the idea of the point loading of the piers bearing on the drain which is about 1.6 - 2m under the ground. My 2 ideas are centred around a suspended floor with low ground bearing.

I have two ideas, interested in your thoughts as to viability:

1. Drill and resin fix 1/2" bar at 12" centres into the house slab and garage slab. Cast a 100mm slab over hardcore and blinded DPM. Will the bar inserted into the slabs take the load of the new slab?

2. Form a shallow concrete oversite with DPM and min 100mm void. Fix a wall plate on the house and garage slabs and bridge the gap with joists. Use 22mm to form the floor flush with the garage slab. Front and rear, I will need to build 2-3 coarses of bricks on the over site to sit the front and back doors on.

My only other concern is the high water table and sandy ground.

Any ideas or has anyone done anything similar?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back