Extending staircase to make safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are looking at buying an old (c17) house that has a very steep, tight staircase. It is listed so planning permission of course will be a challenge but that aside is what I'm think even possible...

The top half is okay but would it be possible to basically extend the staircase around the corner lengthening the steps so it protrudes further into the room at the bottom.

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Would that not conflict with the listed status? Also what effect will that have on the headroom above the centre line of the steps? If you modify the existing I think you may well need to meet the current regs meaning that the entire staircase would potentially need to be replaced.

That is a very good point on the head height... I had not considered that. It is fine at the moment but need to check post increase.

It would indeed conflict with the the listing status (grade 2) so will need consent - far from a forgone conclusion but holding the fact that it will remain a winder staircase as per the listing will help. A rebuild to meeting current regs would blow that though.

PS any alternative ideas welcome!

Last edited:
The conservation officer will rightly not give a hoot about complying with modern regs to make it safer, you buy a listed building you need to accept it for what it is. If you don't like that ethos you shouldn't be buying it. You should be able to identify before you buy though exactly what aspects have determined it being listed.

Sponsored Links
I take your point, but I've never said I want to bring it up to modern regs. Just do the minimum to make it safe. Listed buildings do need to be useable too.

'Safe' is in the eyes of the beholder, if you don't consider the stairs meet your needs then the property doesn't sound appropriate for you. You buy a listed building you accept it for what it is.

Why not show the pic to the local conservation officer at the council and ask their opinion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back