Loft conversion - open plan staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me a bit of advice :)

We are currently in the process of buying a house. It is 4 bedrooms (3 plus a loft conversion). The staircase to the loft conversion is in the back bedroom.

We would like to open up the loft conversion staircase (it is currently blocked off with a stud wall) so it is essentially a '2 storey bedroom'. We would use the loft conversion as a dressing room/office with wardrobes and a desk and use the original bedroom for the actual bedroom.

I hope this is making sense....it's hard to explain!

Would we need to get planning permission for this? Essentially we would just be knocking out the stud wall and putting spindles in instead, and would be putting the house back to 3 bedrooms (just one of the bedrooms is 2 storey!)

There is still a firedoor at the bottom of the loft conversion staircase, which would also be the door into the bedroom.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You don't need planning permission but you can't, when making alterations, make anything that currently complies with building regulations worse. Removing the partition wall would worsen the present situation. To clarify; Building regulations is concerned with the height of a room above ground level. Your third floor is more than 4.5m above ground floor level and therefore needs a protected staircase. Calling it one room with two storeys doesn't alter that situation.

As far as im aware if you open up the staircase you must put a landing area at the top of the staircase with a fire door into the new "study" and alternative to the landing at the top of the staircase should room be an issue you can replace the bedroom doors and bathroom door with fire doors, that was the last I knew, I hope this helps. Northern Stair Parts

We've been thinking of how to convert our loft for some time (we have no protected fire escape route and stairs exit into a part of the living room that cant be boxed in). I was told by Building Control that they would accept a sprinkler system in my case. Maybe worth having a word with your local Building Control office?

Sponsored Links
As far as im aware if you open up the staircase you must put a landing area at the top of the staircase with a fire door into the new "study" and alternative to the landing at the top of the staircase should room be an issue you can replace the bedroom doors and bathroom door with fire doors, that was the last I knew, I hope this helps. Northern Stair Parts

So that's not really "opening it up then" :confused:

As FB said... there are alternative ways of achieveing compliance and this has been done in the past with a domestic sprinkler system. They're not that practical to install/maintain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back