Modifications to internal layout after plans approved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question is two-fold.

I am submitting plans for a two storey extension above my garage (actually knocking the garage down and rebuilding two storeys in its place), but have asked the architect to specify attic trusses and the correct floor joists above the first floor (ie in the loft) IN CASE I might want to do a loft conversion at a later date. I am also laying out the first floor rooms (and creating the ceiling apertures, though plasterboarded and framed over) so I can easily add a staircase to the attic room should I decide to use that space at a later date. This staircase would be located in place of a small bedroom on the first floor.

Note, I am NOT installing a third floor at this time, though the architect has put the text "attic trusses in anticipation of future conversion" and "velux windows in anticipation of future conversion" on the plans (which I'd like him to take out)

So once my extension is complete, I will have a four bedroom house, where the fourth bedroom is quite small.

At a later date, if I decide to use the loft space / third floor, I will put a staircase where the fourth bedroom is, and create a much larger bedroom in the attic space. The house will still be "four bedrooms", only the fourth bedroom will now be much, much larger - could even be a master bedroom.

Will I need to re-apply for permission if I decide to put in the staircase, though no structural work will be needed at that time (there will already be a couple of velux windows in the roof)?

On the other hand, if I do the loft conversion and staircase as part of the plans submitted this time around, but just leave that fourth bedroom as-is, with the stairwell boarded over, then is that a problem as far as completion certs go?

My second question relates to the position of non-load-bearing internal walls / doors etc and deviating from the agreed plan during the build.

If I want to make an aperture wider, for example, or move a door to a bedroom, change the layout of a bathroom etc, can I do that during the build, after the plans are approved?

Can I carry on making changes to the existing part of my house (which individually wouldn't need permission) though the existing layout is detailed on the extension plans?

thanks
Guy

Sponsored Links
Will I need to re-apply for permission if I decide to put in the staircase, though no structural work will be needed at that time (there will already be a couple of velux windows in the roof)?

Yes you will because once a fixed/permanent staircase is installed, the loft space becomes a habitable room in which building regulations would apply. You can have velux windows in a loft/storage area, but once the staircase goes in, it opens up another can of worms.

On the other hand, if I do the loft conversion and staircase as part of the plans submitted this time around, but just leave that fourth bedroom as-is, with the stairwell boarded over, then is that a problem as far as completion certs go?

So... would you put the staircase in or not? As previously mentioned, if a fixed/permanent staircase is installed, the new room will have to comply with building regulations.

If I want to make an aperture wider, for example, or move a door to a bedroom, change the layout of a bathroom etc, can I do that during the build, after the plans are approved?

Can I carry on making changes to the existing part of my house (which individually wouldn't need permission) though the existing layout is detailed on the extension plans?

It depends to what extent the internal layout would change and the BCO would have to decide whether they would require amended drawings. However, moving a door to the left or right slightly "should not" require amended plans.

As for a bathroom, that may warrant revised drawings if the sanitaryware changed around, thus resulting in new/different drainage connections and falls.

As for changes to the existing house. The thing you will have to know is that a typical domestic extension would fall within the "extensions" category when calculating the building regulation fee's. The building regulation fee's for any works that are "not" associated with the extension would be calculated with another table (i.e. estimated cost of work) so any works outside that of the extension may require additional fee's, which would then require plans/details.

So lets say I put the staircase in the plans, but then decide during the build that it's too expensive and don't complete the works - at least not straight away, instead plasterboarding over the staircase aperture and not "finishing" the loftspace?

How long do I have before I MUST put in the staircase? or reapply for permission without it?

I think it would be best to speak to your local BCO.

You could reach an agreement with the BCO for a completion certificate to be issued without the staircase being installed and there may be a note on the file that if you were to then proceed with the installation, you would have to re-apply.

The BCO may also argue why a timber "floor" is going on as opposed to a timber "ceiling". Like I said, speak to your BCO and see the best way to proceed. They're there to help.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think your best option is to finish the building as-is with the trusses and everything set up. And then put in a building notice application for the loft when you come to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back