Extending the ring to add new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Okay I've read through a few post regarding the title and I'm still a little vague as they all seem to talk about having 2 original sockets, I have a single double socket in one room with 2 cables running in. What I would like to do is add three extra double sockets and 1 fused connection unit in the room, is it as simple as taking one of the cables from the exisiting socket, feeding it to the first new socket then another cable to the second new socket and so on until I get to the last of my new sockets where I can run the outgoing cable back to the original socket ending up with 2 cables in all sockets socket?

Hope this makes sense!

Regards

Sponsored Links
yes.

cable must be 2.5mm

be aware of part p

existing socket must be on the ring

you'd end up with 4 at the original socket with 2 of them ( 1 original, 1 new ) connected with terminal blocks in the back.. (this keeps the ring a ring and not a figure 8 )

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, must admit I hadn't figured on 4 cables at the original socket, I was under the impression I only need 2, the sequence of events i was going to take was:

1: Remove one of the cables from the original socket (Ring Socket) stretch it across to the second socket
2: Run new length of cable from second socket to third socket
3: Run new length of cable from third socket to fourth socket
4: Run new length of cable from fourth socket back into the original socket, so effectively 2 cables in and out of all sockets including original.

ColJack - Sorry but not sure I understand the '4 cables'? but I'm thinking you mean the following:

1: Remove one of the cables from the original socket (Ring Socket) & connect original cable end to new cable going to socket 2 via terminal block?
2: Run new length of cable from second socket to third socket
3: Run new length of cable from third socket to fourth socket
4: Run new length of cable from fourth socket back into the original?

Regards

Sponsored Links
yes, sorry, i misread your first post..

i didn't see the bit about moving the one cable to the new socket..

the top one of the explanations will work fine..

assuming there is slack enough to move the cable..

You could also cut out the old box and fit a Dual Box instead. This is slightly larger and enables you to fit two single accessories, e.g. two single sockets.

You can then put one leg of the ring into the LHS socket, and one leg into the RHS socket (don't connect them together). Then you can run your extended ring off the LHS socket and around the room, adding numerous sockets as you go, and return it to the RHS socket.

This method just gives you a bigger ring, it is not a spur.

No connector blocks required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back