Extending The ring Mane in my Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen with 2 sockets in it not including the cooker switch. I want to extend the ring mane and add a few more double sockets and 2 fcu's 1 for the outside light and 1 for the plinth lights. I have been thinking about the best way to do this. Can I go to the socket that has 2 sets of cable running into it and take a set of the cables and put them in a new socket then add another new socket from that and so on then when I have my required amount of sockets return to the socket I originally took the cable from. Also for the plinth lights and the outside light can I add FCU's somewhere between the new sockets. I.e, add one socket then from that add an fcu for the outside light then from that add another socket, then another, then add another FCU for the plinth lights, then add another socket, then back to original. Sound complicated but I am hoping someone will be able to see what I mean. Just not sure about the FCU's, do I run hidden sockets for the plinth lights and outside light to there own individual FCU's where I need them to be installed to switch of and on.

Sponsored Links
I have a kitchen with 2 sockets in it not including the cooker switch. I want to extend the ring mane and add a few more double sockets and 2 fcu's 1 for the outside light and 1 for the plinth lights.
You will require 30mA RCD protection for the new sockets and likely any newly buried cable within walls and cable routes will need to be installed within the permitted safe zones, also you will need to inspect, test and document your finding on either minor works cert or an electrical installation cert.
I have been thinking about the best way to do this.
Employ an electrician would likely be the best way!
Can I go to the socket that has 2 sets of cable running into it and take a set of the cables and put them in a new socket then add another new socket from that and so on then when I have my required amount of sockets return to the socket I originally took the cable from.
If the circuit is a true ring bothe sockets would have two sets of cables in, are sure you have ring final circuit and not a radial?
Also for the plinth lights and the outside light can I add FCU's somewhere between the new sockets. I.e, add one socket then from that add an fcu for the outside light then from that add another socket, then another, then add another FCU for the plinth lights, then add another socket, then back to original.
Once you have down-fused for lighting you would not be able to fit an additional socket, but providing you install the FCU as part of the socket circuit whether radial or ring you can install FCU along the route, but once you have down-fused typically for lighting, the fuse size will be likely to be too small to satisfy a decent load on a 13A socket outlet.
Sound complicated but I am hoping someone will be able to see what I mean. Just not sure about the FCU's,
AS above
do I run hidden sockets for the plinth lights and outside light to there own individual FCU's where I need them to be installed to switch of and on.
Ideally you would want some form of functional switching, a switched FCU could act as a method to down-fuse, isolate and as a functional switch.

But I fear that you will require some informed, experienced help, as by your post I would guess that your knowledge of circuit configuration, installation methods, compliance to wiring and building regulations and the procedures involved in certification, including inspection and testing are not as they should be if you are considering taking on the task you are inquiring about!

Hi
Yes I think I might need to do that, I have done a few bits of electrical stuff but I had a feeling this would be out of my league. I do however find electrical work interesting so think I will spend more time reading and learning about it. It seems some things are easy to do but a lot is very tricky and complicated, Hence why people train at it for so long. It is an art and I give full respect to all decent electricians. Not only can it be awkward but it is also highly dangerous if a mistake is made. I think I will look an electrician up for this Project. It seems daft that a kitchen would only have a couple of sockets anyway but then it is old. Thanks for the information, It is good that places like this are available. And people's advice although disappointing is also very wise. Thanks

BOB.T

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back