Spur from cooker switch/socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing my kitchen and am just about to tile the mane wall, the problem Is have is I need a socket to plug my plinth lights into and the only one available is the cooker switch with socket, My question is can I take a spur from this and if so what is the best method to do this, I was going to take a spur from the cooker+socket box to a 20amp DP switch with neon light, then run this to a double socket which will be hidden at the back of one of the cabinets. Is this acceptable or is there a better way to do this. Unfortunately I only had 2 sockets in the kitchen and I have had to take spurs from both of them already and install double sockets. Also is it right that if you are using a spur for sockets from the ring mane and the plugs that plug into the spur sockets have fuses there is no need to install FCU Units for the spurs. I hope I have explained this well enough for the experts to understand. Any advice would be much appreciated.

BOB.T

Sponsored Links
If you take any connection from teh cooker circuit, it will need to be in the same thickness cable as the cooker circuit.

6mm² or 10mm² conductors are not going to fit into a standard back box, so that isn't practical.

So you'll need to re-engineer the wiring for the sockets. The best way would be to make the added sockets part of the ring, rather than spurs. Then all you need is an FCU to fuse/feed the lights.

Have you thought of taking a feed from the lighting circuit?

Thanks for that information, I haven't thought about the lighting circuit so will have a look at that. Could you also help with this question. I have the cooker connection point and have purchased a dual appliance outlet plate, Can I run 1 cable up to the cooker/socket switch as usual and the second cable up to a 20amp unfused double pole switch an attach the oven to that, Not sure if that sounds right. I have the image in my head but not sure about explanation. Also do I need to use the same size cable for both outlet cables or can I use the 10mm for hob and the smaller cable for the oven, the oven has a normal 13amp plug on the end but my intention was to remove this and wire it to the 20amp dp switch. Any help is much appreciated. And again thanks for advice in last message

BOB.T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back