Wiring remote switched sockets for Kitchen appliances

I think the trouble is that it is difficult to think of a similar analogy which costs nothing - but it seems a strange to only do it where it is free.
If you think that lower rated fuses are beneficial then I cannot see why you do not apply the same to other items when it would cost something.
E.g. go through your oven and insert fuses to each separate load including the lamp, or fit fuses to all your lights.

Advising people that a 3A fuse is not needed for extractor fans on 6A circuits and oven flex is satisfactory on 32A circuits would seem to be at odds with this belief (although, of course, it would not be free (no cost) to do otherwise).

Unless it can be proved by a specific example that using a 3A (or 1A) fuse has an actual benefit over a 13A one, then it surely must be presumed from the rest of the world that there is none.

Sponsored Links
I think the trouble is that it is difficult to think of a similar analogy which costs nothing - but it seems a strange to only do it where it is free. If you think that lower rated fuses are beneficial then I cannot see why you do not apply the same to other items when it would cost something.
I might. As I've said, it's all about a cost-benefit judgement (both 'cost' and 'benefit' in the widest sense), and the difficulty with the specifics we are discussing is that opinions vary about the magnitude (or even existence) of the potential benefit.

But, as I keep saying, if the cost is zero or near-zero, then it's a no-brainer. If there is the slightest possibility that doing some might offer a benefit (and no downsides) then the logical thing is to do it. However ....
E.g. go through your oven and insert fuses to each separate load including the lamp, or fit fuses to all your lights.
That would have an appreciable 'cost', not the least in terms of time/effort, so the bar goes up in terms of my judgement of the probability (and magnitude) of possible benefit which would have to exist for me to feel that it was worthwhile.

It's no different from life in general, most of which is probabilistic. If someone offered you, for no cost (and with no strings attached) a Lottery ticket that might conceivably (albeit 'almost certainly' not!) win you £1m, would you decline it? ... but then what if they offered to sell it to you for 1p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £10 etc. ?
Unless it can be proved by a specific example that using a 3A (or 1A) fuse has an actual benefit over a 13A one, then it surely must be presumed from the rest of the world that there is none.
You are at risk of adopting BAS's scientifically unsound approach of assuming that absence of evidence can be taken as evidence of absence ...

As discussed, I have demonstrated that in the presence of two faults (a jammed rotor and a simulated thermal cutout failure - a very rare occurrence), the motor of a small bathroom fan burned out despite a 3A fuse. As I have admitted, I foolishly did not first try with a 1A fuse, but you surely must agree that it is not impossible that a 1A fuse would have blown before the fan suffered irrepairable damage? 'No impossible' represents a non-zero (and positive) potential benefit - so, if the cost is zero, then the 'conclusion' of the cost-benefit consideration is (or should be!) clear!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wonder if you could explain what "nonsense" you mean, and show how it could get people killed.

By leaving the impression that fuses are not required. And also using incorrect arguments for when they can be omitted, but you know all this.

If fuses are required, what do people do in countries where they are unavailable?

By leaving the impression that fuses are not required. And also using incorrect arguments for when they can be omitted, but you know all this.
It would help if you could be specific in your criticisms, and back them up with some logical argument.
No one has said that fuses are not required in BS1363 plugs or accessories, and several of us have advocated cautiously choosing lower rated fuses than may be strictly required. So I don't logically follow how your impression was arrived at.

It would help if you could be specific in your criticisms, and back them up with some logical argument.
No one has said that fuses are not required in BS1363 plugs or accessories, and several of us have advocated cautiously choosing lower rated fuses than may be strictly required. So I don't logically follow how your impression was arrived at.

Read pages 2 + 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back