kitchen ring question??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all...i am just checking all the wiring on the kitchen ring...in the kitchen there are 3 double sockets above worktop level and 2 single below...1 single switched socket for the dishwasher and the same for the washing mashine...as i understand it the 2 below should come off fcu's or 20a DP switches as spurs...but the 2 below are actually part of the ring and not spurs.... is this a problem or against regs???? also why do the single sockets have to be unswitched...thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Each outlet should have a switch.

2) The switches ought to be above the worktop so they are in plain view and immediately accessible.

3) If you have a switch above the worktop, there's no point in having another switch below. It actually introduces the possibility (since there is duplication) that the lower switch might be off, and you then wonder why the appliance isn't working.

thanks johnd.....sorry for my ignorance but i suppose what i really need to know is are these rules/regs or just good practice or the preferred method...i am thinking that if is is legal/safe to have single sockets off the ring i could just change the fronts to unswitched and save a lot of time and hassle of putting in DP switches..

You are required to have a means of isolation so that the appliance can be safely isolated in an emergency or for servicing.

In an emergency, a switch which is not in plain view is useless as you cannot rely on people being able to find it.

Don't take away the existing switches without putting a better switch in.

Sponsored Links
According to BS7671 a plug and socket is a valid means of isolation for a device BUT image that your washing machine has shorted out and the plug and socket are behind the machine (or in the back of some cupboard behind the dog food and packs of Daz) :rolleyes:

Much, much better to have an isolation switch/fcu above the worktop and an unswitched socket below for the machine to plug into. there's no reg on this but it is considered best practise.

I'm sure I saw that a plug and socket must not be treated as a means of emergency isolation.

I've been searching what I said and I cant see the word 'emergency' in there. I was trying to put the use of plug & sockets in context.

Lets not get picky, think we are in agreement, aren't we?

Taylortwocities said:
Much, much better to have an isolation switch/fcu above the worktop and an unswitched socket below for the machine to plug into. there's no reg on this but it is considered best practise.

i'm still confused....are there legal requirements to have a isolation switch/fcu or will a single switched socket do?....or what about if the bottom socket is blanked, can i plug the washer into a switched socket above worktop level...i.m just thinking its easier to puy a extra socket in rather than all the removal and chasing involved to put in DP switches or FCU's.....

a switch in a switched socket is still a switch so it will do. But a switch will not do if it is hidden away out of sight, is not close to the appliance, or is inaccessible.

A switched socket below the worktop is both out of sight and inaccessible, so it is not good enough.

thanks johnd....the reason im making sure is having a PIR done next week so just thinking if it would fail on that....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back