Using FCU's to supply integrated Fridge and Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install an Integrated Fridge and a Freezer in my kitchen.

I plan to use a separate switched FCU for each appliance.

I have an existing socket which is on the ring main.
I plan to move this socket then spur from it to the FCU's.

What is the best way to move the socket without re-routing the existing ring main wiring to it? (access to the wiring is awkward)

How would I connect the 2 FCU's to this socket?

Can I connect each appliance directly into the FCU?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have an existing socket which is on the ring main.
I plan to move this socket then spur from it to the FCU's.
Why move it?

What is the best way to move the socket without re-routing the existing ring main wiring to it? (access to the wiring is awkward)
You may not be able to - it depends on where the cables are, where the socket will be, and how the cable zones are created:Also, I guess you mean you want to extend the cables? If you use any screwed connection you would need to keep a blanking plate there because it would need to be accessible for inspection.

And somehow I doubt that you have the right tools to make a compression joint.

How would I connect the 2 FCU's to this socket?
You can't, unless you have the second one in series with the first, but then the second one would be pointless.

Can I connect each appliance directly into the FCU?
Given the sorts of questions you are asking, and given that this work is notifiable I really think you should get an electrician.

You should first confirm that the socket you are getting the supply from IS directly on the ring. A simple continuity test on each set of conductors is required.

This socket that you are moving, will the old position be accessible?
If so, you can use it as a junction box with 30 amp connectors, and fit a blanking plate. Assuming it's somewhere where appearance is not important.

If this is not suitable, you will have to re-route the cables.

You cannot 'spur' off this wiring to supply two FCUs, you can only spur once.

So, you should extend the ring, so the socket and each FCU has two cables feeding it.

Then from each FCU run a cable down to the appliance. Use the same size cable as the ring.

At the appliance, you need to fit a socket.

Because you are having integrated appliances, it will be difficult fitting a socket behind, because there won't be much of a void.

You could consider fitting the sockets in adjacent cupboards.
(Wait for it.)
or
You could fit flex outlets, and wire the appliance flexes to these.
(Probably knacker the guarantee.)

If using flex outlets, ensure the FCU IS correctly fused.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both ban-all-sheds and sparkwright for your advice and information. It has been really useful. I am a lot more confident about doing this myself now.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back